28 December 2005

Monolithe Walk, France

Last night it snowed, and snowed, there was over 1 metre dropped by the morning ... but there was a fierce wind and low cloud, while it continued to drop light flurries.

By midday I had cabin fever and needed to get out ... so donning only my town gear I set off for a walk .. I would regret this later.

I walked up to the town and along the road towards Sardieres. As the road crested the other side of the valley there was a car park for the ski de fond, and although empty there was a lot of snowshoe tracks going up the hill...  towards the monolithe.

I headed up the track, at the bend in the track where it went over a river, the tracks went up, as I could not see the track any more I followed the footprints.   At the shack marked as Jomier, I had struggled enough and decided to drop back down, following the track.

the snow was light and fluffy and I wished I had brought my skis.

At the road I went back via the lower road through the new buildings and back to the apartment ..  Lots of exercise, and fresh air ... the clouds were still down, but I felt like I had done something.