13 October 2020

Spare time, Bordon

I took the bike in for a service and MoT ...  however due to the Covid rules there was no hanging around the showroom, I just had to hang around in Bordon ...  not somewhere  I would have chosen, however it has been regenerated from the Army town it used to be ...  and there turned out to be several things to keep me interested.

I did not know how long it would take ...  normal a couple of hours so the first thought was to head up the road to Tesco's for some snacks and drink, before heading for the café nearby  A breakfast and several coffees later I decided to head back an find out how much more than 2 hours it would be ...  taking the long way around, I dropped down through the village away from the main road.

I got distracted on the walk back by a sign to a local nature reserve... it was difficult to see exactly where I was in relation to the map, but I wandered in anyway...  I was right by the Walldown civil war enclosure. It was hidden in the woods, and I could walkaround it and back to the road again.

Back at the showroom it was clear that it would be a  few more hours....  time to rethink how to keep occupied round into the afternoon. just down the road was a footpath sign to Hogmoor - this turned out to be an old tank training area.

The area is a large open space, with several trails around it.
I entered at the southern end, and blindly went up to the mast on the hill. Near here I picked up a trail ... it was marked by strange posts. I followed this trail around the western side and up until I met the café - avoiding the temptation to go in I kept going around the outside, and back down the eastern side ...  
Overall there were several interesting gates - shown below and back at the southern end I took an exit onto the new bypass road, and cut through another wooded area to the main road, and back to the café for tea and cake.

After a pause to recover it was time to get the bike ...  it was nearly ready...  it was also 3:30 ..  so much longer than I had anticipated in the  morning. Time to get home before the heavens really opened - I did not make it, but at least it was not while I was walking around.