17 March 1993

Camelback, USA

 I had been talking about our exploits in the mountains, particularly on skis, to the guys in our US office - at this time I was spending a week a month there. So we (Tim, Jeff and I) hatched a plan to escape one Wednesday afternoon and head inland to a local New York Ski area called the Pocanoes (old Indian reservation) and in particular a resort called Camelback.

Camelback was a typical hill for this area ...  wooded with distinct trails cut though. All held together with man made snow. It was also my first encounter with American form filling and disclaimers .. obviously there had been a large number of people who had blamed faulty equipment for their injuries?

The lift system here was certainly not modern .. probably reused from other resorts and it took an age to go up one of the chairs.. One good thing I remember though was the queuing system where they use a "singles" line to fill up the seats on the chair - a method that should be used across Europe to cut the queues!!!
The other - less welcome - fact was the endless warnings and policing of the rule to stay on the trail at all times ... off- piste was severely frowned upon with the threat of loosing your ski pass, and "out of bounds" was strictly illegal, as it was "someone" else's property so you would be trespassing and I had visions of shotguns!
Never the less we had a fun afternoon and it reminded me how I disliked hire boots! It cant have been that bad as I would return here for some night skiing over the next couple of years three more times ... Night skiing, where the whole mountain is flood lit was a completely different experience. The main thing I remember is how perishingly cold it was ...  I even remember seeing Frostbite warnings on the lift areas and the thermometers getting down to 0 degrees F.

But in general another experience for the memory banks.