21 July 2022

Around Hindhead & Greyshott, local

 I had an early afternoon appointment with the tooth quack in Greyshott, so to make the most of the day I planned to go for a stroll parking at the NT car park on the top of the Devil's Punchbowl then working around through the open access areas of Beacon Hill, Golden Valley, Whitmoor Vale and across into Ludshott common. Dropping down to Waggoners Wells before climbing back up to Greyshott. Following my turn on the torturer's rack then returning to the van across the high street and along the vale to the main road, across and into Nutcombe Down to climb up to the Hindhead roundabouts and to the car park. Bertie, unfortunately could not come, much to his disappointment.

Parking the van, and picking up my ticket before setting off across the picnic area to the path running down the western side of the forested area.
The path merged into a green lane running down the side of residential gardens, following a route I had used before. The occasional views across to the other side of the punch bowl.
At a bug 5 ways junction I left the old route and started down a drive, before splitting off into the trees.
Leaving the main bridleway and taking a footpath into the depths of the wood, staying on the top of a ridgeline dropping gently.
Crossing a deep gully and climbing up the other side, where the view open out to the north.
The path passed between a cricket field and an outside aerial gymnasium, before a contrived section down a back road and a speculative twitten from a housing close, to come out on the main road to Farnham. 
Crossing the main road and picking up the track down into the golden valley (a slight zigzag to drop down to the bottom .
The track came to a sudden halt at a fence and locked gate - my original plan to pick up a road on the other side had to change, so up the left hand side to climb up to a path going around this fenced off area.
This side of the golden valley continued around the fenced off section and the path continued beside the fence before dropping down to the back road. From here I zigzagged back up a green lane.
The lane dropped down to the stream that came out of the golden valley, across the bridge and turning along the stream
Above the stream around beacon hill park, and back to beside the back road, staying in the open access woodland.
I crossed the trail I used when going to the Hindhead golf course, but stayed in the heathland rather than walk along the road as I did last time (I was not aware of the path over the fence!). When the path ended I crossed the road and dropped down to the stream again, then up to a back road.
After another short section on a back road and climbing up the bridleway into Flat Wood, with a zigzag in the middle.
Crossing Hammer lane and into the woods on the other side. the path dropped down to a dry valley, where I lost the track I wanted to follow to the corner of Ludshott common. I ended up having to cut back on my track to Hammer lane and following the road to Greyshott Hall.
Into Ludshott common along side the old hall grounds. Inside the common I made another navigation error and follow the wrong track ( a few degrees out).
I wanted to follow the bridleway, but was on a wide footpath (as it turned out). It was not a major issue, I could follow it until I could then cut back to the harvested area (I knew from the last couple of visits here) 
Back on track cutting across the middle of the common.
Picking up a foot path to begin the westward turn to get back to Greyshott for my appointment. This path was much narrower than the last one and perhaps I would have been better off going around on the bridleways, as by the time I reached the bridleway to the parking at Waggoner's Wells, time was getting short for my appointment.
Speeding up along the bridleways above the lakes and dropping down to the car park. then up the track on the other side of the stream
By now I was almost running! 15 mins to get up to the town. Out of the woods and onto a green lane, climbing up through residential properties to the cross roads. Just 5mins leeway to the appointment - time to change tee shirt and have a drink.
After escaping from the rack with only a pain to the wallet, I stopped off to pick up some lunch at the shop and eat in the square before the return section to Hindhead.
Crossing the road and dropping back down to  Whitmore vale.
The path followed a dark trail behind the houses , but was definitely better than walking along the road.
The path came out at the roundabout on the A333, and I crossed over to the NT area of Nutcombe down - we had passed the parking space (small area) a number of times. Following the Miss James' trail down to the A3 and a bridge that looked over the tunnel entrances.
The trail dropped down to the bottom of Nutcombe valley, before turning up it, climbing gradually up to Tyndalls wood. This was enclosed woodland walking that came out at the A287.

Crossing the road and finding a way through the housing estate on the other side coming out in the pub car park, a short way before the car park. A welcome ice-cream from the tea shack was a perfect end to this walk.