Sue had an exhibition to see in Kingsland village hall, so I tagged along to go for a short walk (I only allowed 90 mins) so we weren't pressured for lunch. I worked a route out along the river lugg, before turning down to Choistrey, then returning along the Pinsley brook to Cobnash. Then back to the church and back to the village hall.
Leaving the village hall and along the back road to a corner then into the open area around the castle mound (not accessible) and through the bailly area.Across to the church and through the graveyard.
An isolated path ran parallel to the B 4360 on a narrow passage between hedges.
A refrain past a driveway, until the path gave out just before the road bent sharply south.
From here I continued along the farm driveway along to Outfields farm.
Just past the farm the path followed the farm track to the fields.
However before the fields the path cut back around the end of the chicken sheds.
Into a ploughed field behind the sheds. .. The path is supposed to cut over this, but I followed the edge.
Then over the fence to a sheep pasture beside the river - meandering greatly here.
I followed a bank through the pasture (presumable to contain the floods.
This eventually turned past a weir.
I crossed into a field (not where the map showed the crossing). Here I crossed the harvested wheat field to a gate on the far side.
A double bridge gave entry to the next field.
Across the harvested field (again not real path) and through the hedge to a ploughed field (again no path). to a gate on the far side.
The last field before I turned at Cholstery Mill farm was harvested and I could cut the corner, crossing to a gate in the fence.
This led to a second harvested field, and down to the stream (brook).
The track followed the edge of fields along the wiggles in the stream ( the map showed it cutting the corners).
At the end of each field the path crossed the fence in a copse.
After the harvested fields the next two were Barley and looked a little more wild and uncultivated.
Finally a grazing field leading to a sewage works.
The path went around the works in a copse, and was very overgrown.
This opened into a sheep field with very scraggy sheep (and a dead one that had been there a while).
Across the B4360 and through a gate. This had a vintage sign on the reverse.
Through the meadow behind the gate and across a hedge into a field.
Through a potato field (on a wide tractor track and into a fallow field - back in the vicinity of the village the track was more defined.
I turned up towards the church and had views across to the motte of the castle.
Back to the church by a different path, then out the far side to return to the village hall along the path through the bailey of the castle earthworks.
Just one minute over my allocated time, and plenty of time to return home for lunch.
| Distance | Elapsed | Height |
|---|---|---|
| 7.9km | 1h 36m | 36m |
