The drive over was in mist from the point I left Hay-on-Wye, and over Gospel pass. The road was narrow with passing places so I determined to go back via the longer way around.
I parked in the CADW car park and walked back down the drive to the back road at Court Farm.
Through the farm and over the Afon Honddu.
On the west side I followed the path towards Cwm Bwchel as it followed a little stream fist on the left bank then the right.
Following the stream climbing up to the buildings of Cwm bwchel farm.
Passing the farm and along the path behind it. Through the woods climbing to the park boundary.
The path turned up the hill in a climbing traverse through the bracken.
The slope eased up as I approached Bâl Bach and the bracken changed to heather.
Up to a pile of stones and a post marker. This was the indicator to turn right following a quadbike track.
Soon angling left at a junction to continue towards Bâl Mawr.
A steeper section appeared out of the mist, however the path had been diverted around to the left and up a stone staircase.
Then along to the trig point on the high point.
Along the ridge - it appeared to be reasonably narrow with drops on both sides (unseen in the mist).
I continued along the ridge to a large pile of stones beside a small quarry.
From here the ridge drops down to a saddle.
The saddle (Blacksmith's anvil) was somewhere around here, however I found my path just after the pile of stones, and followed it as it gently descended.
The path descended steeper and rougher (with large stones) and several zigzags, before easing slightly as the bracken began again.
The obvious path veered away from the mapped one here, and dropped to a separate path. I followed this across a ford and up to a farm track.
I dropped out of the mist here and could see across to the Eastern side of the vale.
More zigzags down grassy slopes (and a couple of parties of horse trekkers). Finally down to the Grange trekking centre.
From the Grange, down the drive with an occasional view of the monastery ruins here.
Down at the back road at Capel-y-ffin. Across the road and through a gate beside the church.
Over the Afon again and past the chapel.
Through the farmyard and onto a path traversing the side of the vale.
I could look over to my descent trace on the far side.
Across the fields and tracks to Ty'r-onen where it has been diverted down the drive.
The path climbs steeply from the driveway after a gate, then climbing straight up through the woods.
Crossing the fence into the park area and along the boundary then up the path heading towards the ridge through the bracken.
This was wet and my trousers got soaked.
The path zigzagged up into the mist once again.
Higher up the bracken gave way to grass, and I followed it as it angled around the cwm.
I remembered that the paths above this were vague and crisscrossed with sheep tracks.
I followed several of these heading to the high point irrespective of the map, knowing that the Offa's Dyke path was on the ridge top and I could not miss it.
Now on the main path along the top of the ridge and I followed it along until a trig point emerged out of the gloom.
I stopped here for lunch and was passed by another troupe of horse trekkers.
As I rested the mist lifted enough to get a better view.
Looking East from the trig point.
Looking West from the trig point.
After my rest I continued along the path on the ridge, now in better visibility.
The path gradually dropped, before a small rise to a pile of stone on a wider plateau.
This was where I would leave the Offa's Dyke path.
A better view on the descent - first gradual slope before it steepened, traversing the slope.
Views of the priory below, as the path dropped over the nose of the slope.
On the far side were views of the path I had ascended at the start of the day.
The final section of the walk dropped through scrubby trees to a sheep field and down to the priory boundary.
Around the boundary and back through the farm.
I paused to visit the ruins of the priory before returning to the car.
I will need to repeat this on a day where I could see the ridges especially on the western side.
Views of the priory below, as the path dropped over the nose of the slope.
On the far side were views of the path I had ascended at the start of the day.
The final section of the walk dropped through scrubby trees to a sheep field and down to the priory boundary.
Around the boundary and back through the farm.
I paused to visit the ruins of the priory before returning to the car.
I will need to repeat this on a day where I could see the ridges especially on the western side.

