01 September 2026

Dragon's back Extended, Pengenffordd

After several days of heavy rain followed by showers, there was a good chance of better weather today, so I chose to head towards Abergavenny and a route that I had often looked at on the way to or from Steph.
The idea was to park at the Pengenffordd, then head up to Castel Dinas. From here follow the ridge up to Y Grib, then continue to Pen y Manllwyn before turning to Waun Fach. Still on the horseshoe route to Pen Trumau and the subsequent cain marking the point to leave it.
From here continuing along the ridge to Mynydd Llysiau, and Pen Twyn Glas.
Next down to the valley and along the old road/ trackway back up to the car park.
I paid the fee into the post box and messaged my car reg to the phone number, then set off down the bank behind the car park.
Across the track and through a grass field.
Then the stiff climb began - up the sheep paddock, and over the shoulder.
The final steeper section to the remains of the castle sitting on the top of this bump.
Looking over towards the Dragon's back ridge, before dropping down to a col.
Down in the bottom of the col and looking up to the start of the ridge.
At the top of the first bump looking back towards the castle.
Onwards up the ridge as it began to narrow.
Around to the right the ridge shows where the horseshoe goes around.
The ridge continues with a series of bumps.
Along the way several optional scrambles along the ridge edge.
The end of the dragon's back is marked by a cairn - Y Grib, then the ridge widens and flattens towards Pen y Manilwyn.
At the end of the flatter section the final steep section to the top of Pen y Manilwyn.
On the top at the cairn, looking along the ridge towards Waun Fach. This was along a path I had followed a few weeks ago.
Along the ridge to Waun Fach, with a final rise to the summit.
From the summit, looking right (west) heading to Pen Trumau and the secondary ridge.
A gradual descent down to the cairns of Pen Trumau, before a much steeper drop down to the col and meeting of many paths.
From the col a steep climb up top Mynydd Llysiau, before a flat continuation of the ridge.
The path continued to meander along the top of this ridge, dropping slightly.
Across to Pen Twyn Glas before turning sharply to stay on the ridge.
When the ridge turned south again, I turned further right to head down hill. The map showed a path here, but the top section was concealed in heather.
Eventually I found a trace cut into the hillside angling down and following an obvious line.
Lower down it became more marked and gave me confidence of the route.
This continued down to the stone wall lining the edge of the open access area.
From here I followed the edge of the wall hoping that where the map showed the path crossing.
Success! a stile led into pasture.
The path was supposed to go through the fence on my right here, but there was no obvious route so I continued down to the back road (no real diversion).
Along the road to a T-junction where a path continued straight across.
Down to a farm and across a stream where the path became a rocky cut in the bottom of a sunken track.


After Glandwr the track meandered along above the valley stream crossing several feeder streams.
A final ford and up to horse trekking centre - Cwmfforest.
The last bit continued up the old trackway and back to the car park.
As I sat eating my lunch before returning a shower crossed over - I had beaten it back to the car !