Its going to be another hot week, and getting hotter as the week progresses, so I settled for a local route and early in the week. I wanted to see what it was like to get to Kington over the fields, which basically involved going to Almeley then one of two parallel routes to Kington. I would go along one then back on the other.
I set off along the Newchurch road up to Logaston then continuing on the simplest route to Almeley via the farm lane and across the sheep and cow fields to the village.In the village I turned down the back road past the church and the manor house.
At a T-junction I turned down the driveway to new farm - the footpath started there so it seemed the right access route.
Beyond the farm the path continued on farm tracks and along the side of a fallow field.
Next across harvested fields following the tractor traces.
This led to a further farm track up to Upper Spond, then down the driveway/ back road to Yewtree.
Across a back road and down a driveway that soon gave way to a Byway with lots of brambles.
The byway gave way to a kind of track - very rutted and mildly overgrown. I was relieved to descend to Woodfield and onto a back road.
Across the A4111 to find no sign of the ongoing footpath. However a driveway had a gate into the filed further down so I cheated!
Across this and the next one, before crossing a hedge.
The pasture field led down to a dry stream, that was crossed by an overgrown bridge.
On the other side a climb up a barley field (not yet harvested)
Across to a farm track/ rutted track that led to abetter track and down to Kingswood road.
Along the back road and over the river Arrow. I turned towards the mill and a footpath that twisted to a garden centre and the Coop.
I wandered along the main street and back to the river bridge.
Following the backstreets up past a recreation garden. The road mutated into a footpath and hence to the A4111.
Straight over the main road opposite the industrial estate and into the fields.
The next field - fallow climbed up and then turned along the hedge.
This entered into a cherry orchard - all covered by tunnels.
After zigzagging through the edges of the orchards, then climbing a steeper grass field.
A very dry grass field then dropped down and across to a back road.
Over the road and through dry grass fields dropping down to a dip.
Across the slope and on to the side of buildings at Elsdon.
I followed the back road to a T junction where I left into the fields again. Cutting over the stubble to a wooded area
Past the end of the woods and then across the brown grass "steppes" like fields to teh edge of Elsdon wood.
Climbign a stubble field to go around the side of The Wood.
From the farm then down the driveway
The driveway improved as I continued along it, until it was fully tarmacked by the time it reached Lower Wootton.
After the buildings I crossed a cow field - these got very curious.
I escaped the cows over a stile and down a narrow path to a driveway.
This came out into Almeley Wootton.
Through the hamlet and leaving on the lane to Hopley's Green.
This, I noticed, had a pond and stone sign, as I passed.
I left the lane just before Woontton on a path that would lead to Logaston road.
I continued on this road to Logaston where it changed name to Newchurch road.
I wanted to check to far side of our bottom hedge, so followed the path across the field behind out house, then turned along the back to re-join Newchurch road, hence back home.
| Distance | Elapsed | Height |
|---|---|---|
| 22.8km | 5h 03m | 432m |
