I drove up to Gospel pass and parked in the highest car park, with a convenient path across the slopes to meet the main path from the col.
At the main path I could look over the edge and down to Hay and the Wye river.
The path leads up to the summit of Twmpa.
After the initial steeper section the top rounds off.
Looking along the ridge, and the initial much steeper descent protected by stone steps.
The hanging col below he summit with paths down to the Wye valley. the gravel and stone path continues along the ridge relatively flat before a climb again to the next top.
the trig point and another meander along the wide and shallow ridge
At the next col there was a crossroads of paths - I will come back here later along a different path.
Here the ridge turned south and I continued along the, now grass and peat path.
Views down to Pengenfford - there is a walk up from there.
However I continued along to Pen y Manllwyn.
The final slope up to Pen y Manllwyn, t=with the next bump on the skyline.
Another flat traverse across to Waun Fach, with a small climb at the end.
A flat trig point on the summit marks a junction of tracks, however I continued along the main ridge towards the next bump - Pen y Gadair Fawr - sitting what appears to be much more proud than the ones so far.
The climb up to the summit of Pen y Gadair Fawr.
Looking south and across to Pen y Fan
Looking north along the ridge I walked down
Taking the path down to Mynydd du forest and valley.
Initially continuing with the grass and stone paths.
Lower down through swathes of bracken that hid the path in places.
Down below in the valley there was a police car on the valley road - I would guess why later.
At the river the path turned along the nearside bank, until a bridge much further down. There were the remnants of many "camp" fires along the side of the stream.
With the water level as it is this year I could have used the stones to cross.
I then followed the tarmacked road down to the car park.
The main car park, and path back up the valley.
In here were a number of mountain rescue vehicles and an ambulance. So there must be someone lost on the hills - hence the police.
Along the valley the byway track climbs up the eastern side of the valley above the river.
This is primarily a quad bike track.
The track climbs up to the dam on the Grwyne Fawr reservoir.
At the reservoir the track split, and I chose the one to the top of the dam.
I would regret this later.
Beyond the dam a footpath led past more fire remnants and the side of the reservoir.
As the path approached the end it became more of a sheep track and I had to leave the edge of the reservoir and climb up the side a way.
At the was a small hut and a very steep exit route back up to the track I should have followed.
Back on track, and following the stream as it steadily climbs up to the ridge I came down on.
Still following the stream and still climbing.
At the end of the stream the path continued int he same direction, and the slope flattened.
Slightly over the top I came to the crossroads of paths from earlier, and turned back towards Twmpa.
The next section was across the flat plateau on the meandering gravel path.
Over the top of the bump on this section.
Then Twmpa and Hay bluff come into sight.
A slight drop then across the hanging valley to the bottom of the slope up to Twmpa.
The steep climb up to Twmpa - the steps are more useful going up than going down.
After the steps a short (easier) walk up to the top.
Over the top and down to Gospel pass
FInding the cutover to the car park, and back to the car waiting.
| Distance | Elapsed | Height |
|---|---|---|
| 24.6km | 5h 35m | 910m |
