26 August 2026

Wye Valley Walk - Hereford West

The weather is turning and heavy showers are coming in, so I tried to go for a longer walk (but without too much height gain!). There was a section of the Wye Valley walk between Bridge Sollers and the edge of Hereford that had no intermediate crossings. So I planned to park in a lay-by where the route crossed the A438 at Sugwas Pool and follow the trail along the side of the river, through Breinton to the old bridge beside the playing fields.
Over the bridge and along the cycle path towards Belmont abbey, bypassing it to reach Clehonger. Then over the fields to Ruckhall then Wormhill and Swinmoor, before a section on the back roads to reach an access path back to the river at Field's place.
Along the river bank to Bridge Sollers to recross and angle over the fields to pick up the Wye Valley Walk, then back along this to the car passing the Magnis roman town.
The lay-by was just down from the point the WYe Valley Walk went through the hedge and into a harvested field, where a well used path crossed to the opposite side.
A grass field led to an orchard where the path crossed the rows diagonally
Over a stile and across a grass field to the back road to Breinton Common.
A lane led from the village and climbed behind the row of houses, before it split into a field to climb over a rise.
Over the top and down the far side to a farm track that led to the back road to Upper Breinton.
At the driveway to Wyecliff house, the path climbed some steps up to a grass field, where the path followed the edge around.
across a second grass field led to a path coming down from a garden centre, however I turned the other way and dropped down into Lower Breinton.
Across a common area and past the imposing gateway to Breinton Court.
The church yard at the end of the road (also the entrance to some National Trust land) had a gate to a path that dropped to the side of the river (still high above the water level.
Along the top of the riverbank - the water well below to my right.
Continuing to follow the river bank with occasional views down to the water. At this point it started to rain, but it was so warm I did not bother to stop.
the path continued along the river bank.
Closer to Hereford there were some skulls out on the river (and a trainer bellowing through a megaphone!)
Reaching the edge of civilisation the path became a track and led past a large field of pitches and a big pavillion.
Finally I arrived at the bridge I wanted to cross - now it is a pedestrian and cycle way.. The rain had stopped by now and only a few drops would make a presence later.
Looking both ways (first down stream them the other way) as I crossed.
On the far side the cycleway followed the river bank and beside a housing estate.
Through the estate and continuing on the cycleway.
The footpath separated from the cycleway, and up to an open area called Abbey view East.

A few more houses and out to a second tranche of the open area.
Across the field I could just see the abbey tower.



Past the abbey and into a sweetcorn field with a defined path.
A second sweetcorn field, led to a huge harvested field that led to Clehonger with the church standing out.
At the church I followed the back road around to Clehonger Manor farm.
Behind the farm a path led to more open fields leading down to Vallets farm.
Another section along the back road, before an obvious path led up to a wood. 
Initially around then through Lady's copse.
Dropping down to Tuck Mill, and the path around Eaton Camp - a peninsular rather than hill top - stone age fort.
The path was supposed to go around the hill fort, but soon became overgrown and less used.
It wandered above the river going up and down in places 
I tried to continue around, and although signed it was totally blocked in places, so I escaped into the village of Ruckhall,
Along some drives before I could get back to the fields - this tie potatoes.
A harvested field led to a stile and permissive path around a house and garden.
Exiting onto a farm track I turned towards Wormhill. The track ended into fields, with a zigzag to change sides of the hedge.
At Upper Wormhill farm I turned onto the back road. leading to other Wormhill farms.
After Middle farm I turned into a field (no sign, but evidence of a path).
Across the fields following the tractor ruts.
A sweetcorn and harvested rape seed field followed.
Last field before arriving onto a back road. Along this passing several chicken farms.
Passing Field's place with mill wheel and great cow sculptures.
Then a partially hidden stile to get back to a field.
Over the slope and down towards the trees hiding the river.
Then along the field side of the woods.
Eventually the path separated, with one branch dropping to the river - my one, and the other heading back to a back road.
The new path soon left the trees and followed the side of the river in fields.
Again not many views of the river, as I walked along the side of the fields.
At last the sight of the next bridge.
once there the path curved around to reach the road
Over the bridge and up to the church, where I stropped for some lunch.
Over the A438, and down to a diagonal path through the fields (again well marked and used.
Across several fields following the hedges, na d across a back road.
The final field led down to the back road heading for Stretton Sugwas.
Just past the roman town of Magnis, I left the road for the final fields.
The fields led to the back side of Sugwas Pool
Through the houses and back to the lay-by on the A438, and the waiting car.


Statistics
Distance Elapsed Height
27.8km 5h 56m 333m