I had found a route around Bromyard from the Outdoor Active. This was one of a series of walks from the Bromyard walkers.
I had printed out the map - however I did find it a little small when I was walking around and guessing where it went. I should had downloaded the GPX file to my GPS and it would have helped on several sections and eased the confusion in places.
I parked in the Bromyard Downs car park - I preferred this to the road side lay-bys.
A quick consultation of the information board and I set off up the hill to the trees and hopefully find a way marked trail.
No such luck!... however I did find a multitude of trails going in roughly the right direction.
However the main one led back to the road and I had to climb back up to the trees once again.
Back on a trail where I expected the route to be I crossed the hillside towards the school.
I took the marked path (rather than down to the school) since it was still drop off time and the road was busy.
This then followed a driveway down to the A44.
I went down one of the driveways opposite the junction and before the house found a path into the trees on the left, this met a larger track around Cherry Orchard Farm. This was where things started to go a little awry as the map was small I did not see which side of the fence to go.
The main path crossed a stile into a field and I followed the signs straight on - I really should have turned right somewhere earlier as I dropped through the fields
In a moment of ignorance I charged on past a crossroads of paths (which should have indicated my mistake until I reached Nuttage farm - note large and vociferant dog here!
Finally realising my errors I then plotted a route back to get on track - basically following the back roads to Linley Green and across to the B4220.
Relieved to be back on the trail albeit with a 4km detour, I dropped down the driveway to Southington farm.
Then around the edge of the gardens.
Across the ploughed next field, before following a stream to circle around Scar farm.
Over a grass field and down the driveway for Linton Mill.
Across a field and down to Linton Brook again - this all felt a little convoluted, although there were trail signs. Looking at the map later I felt it would have been better to drop down to the three choirs way and follow that with less faff.
Following the twists of the brook until the path mutated into a track that met a back road.
Along this to a driveway beside the trees.
Down the driveway to Upper Venn farm, and some rickety stiles and so many path markers it was tricky to find the ones I needed.
I was now on the Three choirs way as well as the Bromyard ring.
Climbing up the grass slopes from the farm, then across the ridge separating two dingles. Before climbing to Munderfield Row.
Across the B4214 and down the driveway to Munderfield Court. Around the house and down a farm lane
The lane ended at a succession of grass fields before reaching Stoke Lane.
The second stint on the roads.
Leaving the three choirs way where it turned off the road, to go straight on . A double stile/ gate combination led into a grass field.
Through the fields to a pig enclosure which was thankfully dry although churned up.
This exited onto the A465 at Stoke Cross.
I avoided the brewery and Morgan factory to turn down Bredenbury road.
This was now a long section along the back road, with high hedges. The only distraction being the road junction - indicating where I was, and a magnificent steel and wood dragon.
Over a cross roads at Crowels ash and along to Upper Winslow, where at last I escaped the road into a field.
Down to a stream with an overgrown and rotten bridge. The next field was luckily harvested as the path was obscured and I could take a bearing across it.
The next field was rough heathland/ fallow and hard going before a stile led to a gravel track.
Over a back road (Green Lane) and down the driveway to Kingfisher Trout Lake. Along the stone lane beside this up to a sharp turn.
Down beside the derelict buildings, and a zigzag down to the driveway on the far side.
Up the driveway to the A44 and a short section dodging the traffic.
The track then goes down a driveway to Sawbury Hill, before crossing into a field just before the house.
Some weird routeings across fenced off fields led down to a stream crossing, then up to Wicton farm.
Through the farmyard and along the driveway climbing up to a back road.
At the junction with the back road was a milk vending machine where I stopped for a cup of milk and some lunch.
There was also a dog exercise yard (paid) - a revenue opportunity.
I turned down the road and across a disused railway that had a few carriages at a station - holiday lets.
More road traipsing curving around and up to the B4214.
Leaving the roads at Winslow grange
The grass led to a ploughed field (no border once again), and on to a harvested stubble field leading to the Edwyn Ralph church.
Beside the church is a motte & Bailey settlement site - now just some trees in a field.
Around the old church through the graveyard, and down to the main gate entrance.
Then down the lane to Townsend farm
I followed the original route taking the path just after the farm climbing up to a grass field, then following the hedge line.
The track continued along the hedge line
I found out later that the recommended route was slightly different because a ditch crossing was complex and "broken". However I could drop down and climb over the debris.
Just before Black Venn I was back on track and over a footbridge.
I had to check several times along the next few fields to make sure I was going correctly as the main paths all led south.
Across the final field to a house.
Up the road/ driveway coming from Buckenhill manor, climbing to the edge of the Bromyard Downs. Here the driveway became a back road up to the B4203.
Over the road beside a bus shelter and into the open grassy area behind.
I climbed up to two oak trees and the view down to the pub beside the car park
Around the back of the pub and back to the car - very relieved to stop.
My major mistake was thinking I could rely on a small map and path markings. The marks were only some use if you knew which other path marks to follow. I should have also downloaded the GPX file.
However a long walk with lots to keep me interested (despite the long road sections).
| Distance | Elapsed | Height |
|---|---|---|
| 29.8km | 6h 31m | 592m |


