With changeable weather since my last walk, I picked a lower level walk and another part of the Wye Valley walk, combined with parts of three walks from the Kittiwake book.
I would start at Glasbury and follow the South/ East side over the hills to Hay-on-Wye. Then return following the Wye Valley walk along the opposite side.
I parked in the free car park just below the bridge in Glasbury and climbed up and over the bridge.
On the other bank through the village back roads climbing up and under the disused railway track. Before cutting over a field to the back road beside Tir-uched Farm.
Down the back road to a T-junction, just past Heol-y-gaer. Then down a green lane opposite and along a farm track above the stream - Nant Ysgallen.
The lane ended at the driveway to Penygenhill, and I jumped a gate opposite, the drive continued to Tynllyne (maybe another day).
I crossed the field behind the gate looking for an exit to the buildings below, however it seemed the only path was along the hedge at the top.
After the fields the path disappeared into a scrub wood, and slightly overgrown but just passable.
Onto a driveway to another house, which I followed looking for a path to the side. However no path and I wandered around the edge of their garden before seeing a gate into the field below on the far side - it seemed I was right to continue.
Across the field to a second hidden gate that opened to a large grass field. This then led to a harvested sweetcorn field.
Down the side of the houses bordering a back road, before coming out onto the lane.
Along the lane to the village of Llanlgon.
Out the east of the village and over some steps into a grass field crossing to the skyline.
Not the flat way, but straight up the slope to the trees above.
Into Long wood, looking for a path climbing higher, however this has been obsoleted by permissive paths into Tylau Wood.
I followed the well used path through into Rook Wood, having decided to take a different route into Hay.
At the bottom of the slope I exited the wood and turned towards hay along the hedge line.
Through several fields keeping to a straight line towards the outskirts of Hay.
Through the last field and across the B4350. I then followed my instincts through the back entries of the houses to reach the lane behind.
At the edge of the estates I turned down a gravel lane to the Warren.
At the end of the lane was a car park with access to the sides of the river.
I turned to follow the river to the centre of the town.
The river walk path followed the edge of the river with occasional paths across the dismantled rail way track beside.
Finally at the main bridge across the river, I left the river walk and circled around to climb up t the bridge deck and across it.
Up the B4351 past the Offa's Dyke path turning and the canoe hire to reach the turn off for the Wye Valley Walk.
Across the field (now a camping area) to the woods.
Around the woods - part of the estate belonging to Wyecliff, before escaping over a footbridge to open fields.
Along the side of the river as a long curve.
Looking across to the slopes above Clyro. Then along to a junction of paths.
A time to decide which variant ... I chose the more strenuous route. So I followed the path up to and across the A438.
The path climbed the slope on the other side of the main road angling across the slope to the break in the trees.
Looking back across to the BlackMountains - Hay Bluff to Twmpa then Y Grib.
Continuing to climb - slightly less steep - to the skyline.
Looking over the top and down to Llowes, following another hedge.
Final slopes above the village and back down to the A438.
Around the church and off up a back road.
I did not find the path as it went into the woods, so I followed around the bottom edge in the fields and through several gates.
Then climbing up to Brynyrhydd Farm to get back on track.
Through the farmyard and down the driveway dropping back to the A438.
A stretch along the side of the main road to a point where the WVW separated just after a junction with a back road.
Into the fields to get back to the river on a diagonal track.
Along the side of the river (the other side of the hedge) to reach the village of Glasbury.
Up to and over the A438 (again) to reach the car park.
| Distance | Elapsed | Height |
|---|---|---|
| 18.3km | 4h 01m | 426m |

