18 September 2026

Wye Valley Walk, Round the bend @ Glasbury

Dodging the rain bands, and with a strong wind I chose to return to Glasbury and do another section of the Wye Valley Walk. This time heading West around the long bend of the river to Boughrood Bridge on the WVW, before returning over the hills (it was the Black mountains after all) on the South side towards Three Cocks. Avoiding the village down the side stream to reach Glasbury near the church.
I parked in the same spot as last time, and this time dropping to the river past the Scout Hut, and then across the meadow behind.
The riverside walk was closed due to subsidence, so I diverted around the roads.
Down the driveway beside the B4350.
The driveway ran parallel to the river before pulling away to reach Glasbury Farm.
Passing  the farm the driveway changed to a farm track along side fields.
The path left the track at a bend and headed over the fields to Pistyll
A short zigzag on the B4350, before another farm track led back towards the river.
Across several fields (and some hungry sheep) towards some scrubby woods. Ahead was a hill I would climb later passing the hill fort.
A narrow path followed the fence at the top of a high bank. With a couple of "private" ways down the steep bank.
Just before the old rectory, I took the "permissive path" down a further set of steps to the river, and then along the riverbank passing the house above it.


Up to the village and over the old toll bridge to reach the A470.
On the far side an overgrown path between two hedges climbed the hill. I was glad of the secateurs I now carry for such developments!
Luckily this ended at the field above where a crossroads of paths met - I could have walked up the field beside the path as an easier option. Then still climbing up to the woods.
Climbing the steep slope hidden in the woods, and around the side of the hill fort.
Climbing up the slope beside the fort and then across several fields to reach a bridleway climbing past Pen-rhiw-wen.
Opposite the building, I turned down a driveway to a farm (unnamed), and across the farmyard.
Out the other side the farm track opened out to give great views of the black mountains from Hay bluff and Twmpa, down to the dragons back.
A little further around to Mynudd Troed.
A walk around here would not be complete without a game of "hunt the stile and footpath". It was supposed to go through this hedge, however I could not find anyway through. The field beside it was no better, but had a point I could jump the fence, and then a second to get back on track.
The path supposedly goes down this fence line, and across the next field. Luckily a couple of gates made it easier, but definitely no footpath signs!
A gate at the bottom of the hill allowed me to escape easily onto the A479, and I crossed over (after a short section along the road) and down a bridleway.
The bridle way was clear and easy to follow up to a junction beside a stream. I chose to continue along the bridleway after passing a fallen tree (although now more overgrown).
Escaping onto a back road at a sharp turn, and following it down to the A470. Straight over this and down a driveway to Pen-lan, where I transferred onto a by-way.
This continued alongside fields, before dropping down to the farm at Trevithel
Through the farmyard, and around the house, before turning across a harvested field.
A gateway led to a second harvested field. The path here dropped to the corner before climbing again around a corner.
"Hunt the Stile" game showed it was hidden behind brambles and again the secateurs proved useful.
The map showed the path followed the edge of several fields, and only small marks on the gates showed it was a path.
Another overgrown stile led to a grass field.
Around the side of an old quarry, before dropping down to go though the remains of a bridge taking the disused railway over the path.
A grass field led across to Pipton farm. The path should have continued beside the stream, but looking back from the road showed that escaping through the farmyard was the only viable option.
Over the A4079 and down to flood plain fields. Across these below the great house and Motte & Bailey.
The fields got more overgrown as I headed towards the church - the tower showing above the trees ahead.
A dilapidated bridge and overgrown path climbed up to the A438.
Over this and up to the church. Through the churchyard and out the upper left corner.
Along a green lane that mutated into a path in the woods.
The path ended at a residential area, and a twitten that led to a back road (I had been here on the last walk).
Down the road back to the A438 and over the bridge to return to the car park.
Statistics
Distance Elapsed Height
16.7km 3h 50m 369m